Can you afford the flu?
- You could be sick for a week or more.
- It doesn't matter how fit or healthy you are, you can still get the flu.
- You cannot get the flu from the vaccine. It does not contain any live virus.
Flu is more serious than a common cold. Many people with flu are forced to rest in bed for a week or more, which means they can't go to work or take care of their family.
|For others who are considered 'at risk' of complications from the flu, the illness can be much more serious and can lead to hospitalisation and possibly even death. 'At risk' conditions include severe asthma, emphysema (COPD), diabetes, heart disease and chronic kidney disease.|
Also if you work with or are in regular contact with any of the above 'at risk' people, it is important that you are vaccinated to help prevent spreading the flu to them.
VACCINATION IS YOUR BEST DEFENCE.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION TALK TO YOUR GP
1. Mills & Yapp, CSIRO Australia; 1996.
2. Newall, A. Economic Report into the Cost of Influenza to the Australian Health System. Vaccine, 2007.
3. NHMRC. The Australian Immunisation Handbook, 10th Edition; 2013